Thursday, December 10, 2009

Good News



I have exciting news, people! I have received my very first industry review compliments of Kirkus Reviews:

“Choose your own adventure” meets fashion-magazine personality quiz in this lively, light story aimed at young teens. Employing second-person narration and a conversational tone laden with current pop-culture references, the book informs readers they are a 12-year-old girl who has been dragged to the mall by her friends to sleuth out tickets to a classmate’s exclusive Charlie and the Chocolate Factory–themed party. Though hoping to bump into her crush, she instead runs into a tyrannical model scout in need of an emergency replacement for a photo shoot taking place that day. To decide whether or not she’d like to participate, readers are prompted to take a short multiple-choice test to determine which direction the story will take, the first of many such divergent points. Gently skewed toward positive outcomes for the confident, there are still many satisfying story arcs for the meek. Jealousy, on the other hand, is discouraged outright. Girls who are eagerly anticipating their teen years will enjoy this breezy, reader-driven tale, however it turns out for them. (Novelty/fiction. 10-13)


I can't even tell you how happy I was to receive a good review from them. Let's hope they're all like that!

Also, I have seen the finished product of the first book and, thanks to the editor, illustrator, designer, and slew of production and art people who worked on it, it looks great. I can't wait for you all to see it. Since the pub date is right around the corner (January 12), you'll get your chance soon enough.

Even better, I have finished writing the second book! Right now it's with the copyeditor, who is, I'm sure, fixing all my mistakes as we speak. I know there will be lots of changes to make before I can really say that it's done, but it's exciting to have a complete manuscript to work from.

And now that I have finished the hard part, here are some things I've been neglecting since I started working on the book that I am really looking forward to getting back to now:

1. Cleaning my apartment.

Seriously. The state of it at the moment is just embarrassing. What started out as a small mess slowly took over the whole apartment, like the blob. Sure I fought back for a while. I took out some garbage, made the occasional bed... But whenever I contemplated doing a deep cleaning, writing another chapter always won out. So this weekend, I defeat the blob once and for all.

2. Going back to the gym.

Speaking of blobs... One thing they never told me in my writing classes in college is that if you aren't careful, writing can really pack on the pounds. Well, not the writing itself, I guess, but the sedentary nature of it. (It's not like I can write while jogging on the treadmill...right?) Well, that plus the fact that I seem to have convinced myself that in order to write effectively, I need some form of snack food by my side. I would like to say I always choose fruit, but I would be lying. Since I started this book, I've watched my jeans get tighter and tighter, and my belly get bigger and bigger. Well, no more! Also on my list this weekend: Stock my fridge with good and good-for-me foods and actually take advantage of my gym membership. (In the long run, this will be more cost effective than buying a whole new wardrobe.)

3. SLEEP!

I used to really fight sleep when I was a kid, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why now. Sleep is awesome. Sleep is better than money. Sleep is better than chocolate. (Well, almost.) True, it is a somewhat sleep-deprived person making these outrageous claims, but when you haven't had a good nights' sleep in weeks, the first time you get to sleep without guilt is just heavenly.

4. Actually seeing my friends and family.

Sometimes when I'm trying to meet a deadline, I have to become a bit of a hermit. I really have no choice. Although my friends keep trying to convince me that I could just as easily work while sitting on the beach and people watching with them, it's simply not true. But now maybe I can rejoin the world for a while--and just in time for the holidays.

Anyway, before I go, I'll just say that I now have a publicist, so check back here soon for news about any possible public appearances, interviews, giveaways--all kinds of fun stuff. Thanks in advance for supporting my dream. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!





No comments:

Post a Comment