Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Managing a Little Mischief

It's official: My book is now on sale, everybody!

So to celebrate the occasion, I did what any sane person would do: I stalked my book all over town. Okay, I only went to two locations, and I wasn't stalking in a creepy way. I mean, I brought friends with me, I never hid behind a bush or anything, and I wore a very fashion-forward scarf the whole time.

First I visited the Borders bookstore near Columbus Circle. I was a little bummed to find two lonely copies on a bottom shelf in a dark corner of the store (it is sometimes a curse to have a last name that starts with V in a world where most things are placed alphabetically). But then...one of my friends spotted the New Stuff shelf, where they have my book on display!





Notice the eye-level placement and proximity to Dr. Seuss. Niiice. When I asked an employee to take a picture of my group of friends in front of the book, she offered to let me sign the books so they could put a sticker on them saying that they'd been signed by the author. Well, naturally, I was all over that!




I even got this man to stop and check out my book. He may not be a pre-teen girl, but maybe he's got daughters...



All in all, it was a great first book stalking sighting.



But I hadn't quite gotten the thrill of seeing my book on the shelves out of my system yet, so after work, I  met up with my editor and we headed over to the Barnes & Noble in Union Square. It wasn't on display there quite yet, but they did have it face-out (a good thing in the publishing world, trust me) and again, I was in good company.




Even my editor, Stephanie, got into the act. This is her success too, so we were both excited.




Of course, these pictures were taken right before we were informed by a guard that we weren't actually allowed to take pictures there. Oops. Anyway, we moved on and asked the man at the customer service desk if I could sign the books. Thankfully he said yes (after checking my ID) and I signed all the copies on the shelf. (If you want one of those, look for a sticker on the front that says, "Autographed by the Author." I still can't believe that's me. I'm telling you, I really geeked out in the bookstore, which made the customer service guy laugh. I'm sure he gets this a lot from new authors. I would have taken pictures of him and of me signing there too, but I figured I had managed enough mischief for the day. (Plus I'm pretty sure that guard still had her eye on me.)

So the only thing left is for all of you to run out and buy the book now--if you haven't already. And while you're at it, check out GirlMogul.com next month. YOUR LIFE, BUT BETTER is their February book of the month! There will be a little piece by me on there too. And also, pick up the February/March issue of Girls' Life magazine (on the stands right now!) to see a full page ad for the book and an exclusive quiz by yours truly.






No comments:

Post a Comment