Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sabbatical: Day 1

Yesterday was my first official day of my sabbatical. No work for a month! I am free to do whatever I want! Naturally, I started off my day with...work. See, I foolishly accepted two proofreading jobs that of course need to be handed in before I leave for Greece. So I got up early and spent a couple of hours reading. The cool part about being a freelance proofreader is that I read all the time for fun anyway. So getting paid to do it almost feels like I'm running some sort of scam. Ha! They're actually paying me to read. Suckers!


But I couldn't do that for long since I had to get dressed and head to Times Square, where I met with a few friends of mine for Selena's birthday brunch at Blue Fin. If you ever get a chance to go, you won't be sorry. The food is amazing. We're talking feta omelets with peppers, tomatoes, and onions, home fries, perfectly cooked turkey bacon, lemon blueberry pancakes, warm raisin bread, creme brulee with fresh strawberries and cookies; chocolate mousse cake, peppermint tea... Mm mm good. Good call, Selena! The waiters brought the birthday girl a parfait desert with a lit candle and the rest of us sang her the birthday song while she blew out the candle. Then she opened her presents and we toasted to another fabulous year in her life. The four of us sat and talked for a long time, even after the food was gone and the rest of the place had emptied out. Then we headed over to the movie theater on 8th Avenue to see The A-Team. Loved it!

Finally, Dionne and Selena headed off to 34th Street to do a little shopping, Diane headed home, and I hopped on the 7 train to return to Flushing and get back to work. All in all, day one of my sabbatical? Good times.

On the menu today: More work, and a trip to a spa in Brooklyn with Stephanie. (We both have gift certificates that we never used, so we're cashing them in today.) Sixty-minute massage and facial, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment