Monday, June 21, 2010

Sabbatical: Day 11 (I think)

Right now I am sitting on a balcony in a high-end hotel in Athens overlooking the Acropolis. 


It is about 6:30 in the morning and all I can hear are the chirping of birds and trees rustling in the breeze. Below me the streets are empty and the bushes are full of pink and white flowers. And soon I will get showered and dressed so I can have breakfast at the rooftop restaurant and then do a little shopping before I meet up with the other writers in the workshop.

Wow. It's been a long time since I've woken up this relaxed. It took a long time to get here (about 7 hours on a plane to Poland and then another two and a half from there to Athens), but it was worth it. Is this how the other half lives all the time? If so, I really want to be in that half. For now, I'll just enjoy this brief vacation from work, work, work. I'm looking forward to meeting the other writers and getting to spend some time writing something new, something literary, something with no deadline in sight. Aaahh... So far, I think Greece and I are going to get along just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment